About The Role
To act as subject matter expert across all areas of FCA regulation of relevance to the Group's activities, being a visible and credible source of knowledge.
Technical risk knowledge
- Demonstrate experience and understanding of the FCA Handbook, specifically PRIN, SYSC, COCON, CONC, COBS, BCOBS, MCOB, DISP and SUP in addition to the Payment Services Regulations (PSR), with the ability to apply this knowledge to day-to-day decision making and the provision of advice.
- Maintain awareness of latest commercial and technical developments through external fora and networking.
- Leverage and align to the business's Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework to ensure that all identified areas of conduct and regulatory risk are clearly documented and mapped back to an assessment of performance against risk appetite.
- With leadership support, engage with the FCA and internal stakeholders to provide information or responses to queries. This may include detailed data requests in relation to areas such as arrears management, operational resilience etc.
Assessment and Interpretation
- Manage a team to analyse potentially complex regulatory publications and interpret them into key messages of relevance to the business's activity. Act as a proactive collaborator with relevant departments to ensure regulatory requirements are met and changes are well understood and planned for.
- Support colleagues in the creation of responses to regulatory consultation papers as required.
- Use previous team and risk management experience to judge the potential risk exposure across the Group, ensuring that efforts and messaging are focused to areas of greatest inherent risk.
- Maintain a risk-based approach in decision making, ensuring appropriate escalation of causes of concern to senior management where required.
- Cultivate and develop an enthusiastic and engaging team, encouraging open dialogue with all colleagues to engender trust and drive continuous improvement.
- Manage conflict when it arises, demonstrating pragmatism and an in depth understanding of the areas of concern.
- Demonstrate exceptional listening skills to understand business activities and associated risk. Use a variety of communications styles, both written and verbal to tailor communications to the relevant subject matter and drive positive engagement and change.
- Champion adherence to sound risk management practices, including identification, analysis, monitoring, reporting and controls, engaging with Risk colleagues to ensure consistent messaging across the Division.
- Influence team members to consistently demonstrate sound and reasonable risk awareness and consistency of risk language.
- Effectively prioritise and be accountable for multiple tasks for both self and others over a variety of time periods, spanning from daily activities through to longer term project engagements.
- Ensure consistent delivery of own and the team's objectives.
- Maintain focus on data and evidence, supporting the clear collation of information to enable and evidence sound action management and decision making.
- Implement and maintain effective controls to support accurate and insightful data analysis and reporting.
Business / IT knowledge
- Gain an in depth understanding of the needs of the business through a business partnership model and regular engagement with operational management.
- Use company data and existing operational reporting to measure delivery of good customer outcomes and to identify key areas of conduct and regulatory risk. Promote and facilitate the design of automated and preventative controls.
Creativity / Critical thinking
- Demonstrate creative thinking, challenging existing processes and proposing new ways of working to maximise efficiency. Add value by tailoring risk management strategies to a variety of challenges as they arise and encouraging team members to do the same.
- Review and challenge existing reporting mechanisms and formats to ensure that Compliance MI is engaging, visual and clearly directs the recipient to the key areas of concern or interest.
- Adopt an open-minded approach to problem solving, seeking pragmatic and cost-effective solutions to business and regulatory issues. Ensure that the team measure and monitor the performance of those solutions, allowing for swift identification of ongoing and repeat issues.
- Demonstrate previous management experience of working in a compliance team in a regulated environment.
- Be able to effectively adapt communication styles to provide feedback and guidance both verbally and in written reports.
- Demonstrate risk-based decision making, and the ability to influence key stakeholders to drive the regulatory agenda
- Be confident to manage own workload and deliverables, ensuring high standards of quality and advice
- Interpret regulatory developments and apply them to the business's Group's activities.
- Support change activity to deliver the company's compliance policies and procedures.
- Develop own and others' technical compliance knowledge on an ongoing basis
Qualifications and Experience
- One or more relevant industry qualifications such as the International Compliance Association (ICA) GRC Diploma.
- Minimum five years experience working in a compliance role and experience of managing team performance.