The purpose of this role is to deliver the operation of sanctions and trade compliance and help design and/or oversee appropriate controls in coordination with and as part of a global Centre of Excellence for Financial Crime and International Trade (the "CoE") under the oversight of the AML & Sanctions Manager, Global Sanctions Strategy Lead. The role would work closely with the AML & Sanctions Manager, Global Sanctions Strategy Lead and the Chief International Trade Counsel.
The role holder is responsible for building a strong business partnering model to support the business units to enable the effective sanctions compliance in support of the business strategy. The role will be met by monitoring sanctions laws and developments, leading on projects and advising on sanctions laws and policy and responding to and working with senior members of the business, executive stakeholders and clients and other third parties, where appropriate, to support compliance with policy and applicable sanctions, export control, and anti-boycott compliance laws.
The role will support the Re Global Financial Crime Director on Anti Money Laundering, high risk relationships and other Financial Crime risks to ensure the business is compliant with appropriate policies, regulations, systems and controls.
The role holder will support businesses in adhering to Company and regulatory and other legal requirements and regulatory expectation whilst appropriately considering commercial impact and communication and interaction with colleagues and other senior stakeholders. The role may also work to support sanctions issues in other parts of the Global Brokerage business.
- To assist in the implementation, maintenance and socialisation of sanctions, export control and anti-boycott compliance framework which is designed to be robust, fit for purpose and in line with applicable Government / industry recommended frameworks.
- Review business transactions in line with the sanctions export control and anti-boycott laws and the Global Sanctions, AML, Export Control & Anti-boycott Policy and procedures to help assure transactions are legal and consistent with AJG risk appetite.
- Horizon scanning on regulatory developments in coordination with the CoE and report to stakeholders any impact to business. Respond appropriately to changes in law and alert the business to these changes.
- To conduct sanctions/trade control reviews, in particular suspected, alleged or actual breaches of sanctions and trade controls or policy.
- To undertake due diligence, propose risk mitigation recommendations, support with corrective action plans with the relevant business area.
- Engage external counsel where necessary in coordination with the Sanctions Lead and Chief International Trade Counsel
- Provide SME support to M&A activity, conduct due diligence and support integration planning.
- Conduct regular gap analysis on Re policies, procedures, training, systems and controls.
- Assess enhancements of business proposals for local sanctions, trade controls procedures.
- SME management of internal and external audits
- Apply to obtain requisite licences from regulatory and/or Government bodies to enable licensable transactions including provision of insurance services for movement of controlled goods.
- Provide SME support on impact of sanctions, trade controls on risk assessments, report key risks to senior stakeholders.
- Represent the business relevant industry or similar associations or groups as appropriate.
- Provide leadership to staff members, fostering an inclusive and diverse team, providing flexibility, workplace support, training and resources required to undertake the role
- Educated to degree level or equivalent; desired
Experience and Skills
- Experience on sanctions, AML or trade controls in the insurance industry
- Ability to balance commercial requirements against legal and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of bribery and corruption, fraud, market abuse and counter terrorist financing.
- Decisive, fair, reasonable, practical, an action taker with lots of common sense.
- Team player with willingness to work with colleagues in the CoE and other members of Compliance and Legal to leverage skill sets to maximize utility of solutions and work effectively across the business including directly with senior directors and stakeholders
- Attend international compliance conferences where relevant, and maintain CPD certificate.
- Business acumen experience in commerciality and risk awareness
- Ability to build rapport, establish credibility and to engage and influence stakeholders at all levels, internally and externally
- Results-oriented mind-set with a drive for growth
- High degree of self-awareness and self-management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience of working in a global, matrix-managed organisation, with the upmost integrity and confidentiality